Wednesday, January 02, 2008

 

#5 Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare

Finally, a buzz band that avoids the sophomore slump. I'm sure there have been others but probably not 2 albums as solid as these. Alex Turner's slightly slurred British delivery is still there and I love it. The only thing that has changed is that the band sounds a little tighter and some of the songs rock a little harder than the first album. They also continue the trend of ending the album with the strongest song of the bunch; if you haven't heard "505" please do so now. The double time feel of the songs mixed with the dancy bass lines makes this a great party album. I hope these guys have a long career full of fun albums ahead of them.

Edit: While listening to the album after I wrote this, this line really hit me:
"I hope you're holding hands by New Year's Eve
They made it far too easy to believe
That true romance can't be achieved these days"

Highlights:
505
D is for Dangerous
Brianstorm

Favorite Lyrics:
“Stop and wait a sec
When you look at me like that
My darling, what did you expect?
I probably still adore you
With your hands around my neck
Or I did last time I checked”

“As she walked away
Well her shoes were untied
And the eyes were all red
You could see that we'd cried
And I watched and I waited until she was inside
Forcing a smile and waving goodbye
Curiosity becomes a heavy load
Too heavy to hold”


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?