Wednesday, January 02, 2008

 

#3 Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga

This album and the 2 that follow should all just be tied for #1. I have changed them around numerous times while making this list. Spoon was off my radar until the release of "Gimme Fiction" and I quickly became a fan. This was another highly anticipated album. There is something really simplistic about the album and it's what takes what would have been a good album and makes it great. They didn't use fancy bells and whistles or strange production techniques that I know of. It's just a straight ahead album full of great songs. Britt Daniel's voice is another one of my favorites and he uses it well. The album has a 60's/70's feel to it and I can't pick out why; it may be the production and the background horn section on some songs. I like every song on this album a lot and really hope their next release is just as good, if not better. There's another former Get Up Kid sighting in bassist Ryan Pope on this album and his bass lines are what really make this album get into a groove. This release also has my favorite album art on this list.

Highlights:
The Underdog
You Got Yr. Cherry Bomb
Don't You Evah

Favorite Lyrics:
“You got no time for the messenger,
got no regard for the thing that you don't understand,
you got no fear of the underdog,
that's why you will not survive”

“I believed that someone'd take care of me tonight
As I'm lookin' out at you, can you see that in...
In my eyes, on the mend, now they could lead me home
Street tar in summer will play a trick on your soul”


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?