Wednesday, January 02, 2008

 

#13 Radiohead - In Rainbows

I'm going to get a lot of shit for this being on my list but I don't care. I have never been much of a radiohead fan but the album was essentially free so I gave it a shot. This album really surprised me. It has a lot more structure and coherence than some of their recent releases. The album starts off with a great song and just keeps on churning out well crafted songs until the end. I can actually relate to some of the lyrics, which I was not expecting at all. Thom Yorke's voice is rather soothing on these songs rather than being annoying as I had come to expect in the past. It's impossible to talk about this release without touching on the way it was released. It was a very inventive way to cut out the labels and avoid an album leak. Of course we can't look at this as a new model because a band without the following of Radiohead would surely fail. I think the best part of this release was the fact that not even the blogs and press had copies until it came out so there was a fresh discussion online that everyone could take part in at the same time.

Highlights:
Bodysnatchers
Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
Reckoner

Favorite Lyrics:
“How come I end up where I started?
How come I end up where I went wrong?
Won't take my eyes off the ball again
You reel me out then you cut the string”

“In the deepest ocean
The bottom of the sea
Your eyes
They turn me
Why should I stay here?
Why should I stay?
I'd be crazy not to follow
Follow where you lead
Your eyes
They turn me
Turn me on to phantoms
I follow to the edge of the earth
And fall off
Everybody leaves
If they get the chance”


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?