Wednesday, January 02, 2008

 

#12 Motion City Soundtrack - Even If It Kills Me

Motion City Soundtrack rarely disappoints. Their last album was a bit on the weak side compared to their debut but it was still a great album. They came closer to the first album with this release and I don't think I can expect much more since it sounds as if they are moving away from the quirky things I loved so much about their debut. I can't complain about a band maturing though because this album is stellar. The songs are becoming poppier and poppier with each release. The one thing that keeps them rooted in their early material are the lyrics. Justin crafts witty and a lot of times self deprecating verses that stick in your mind long after the record stops. My favorite thing about MCS is the moog and there is plenty of it on this album. I saw them perform some of these songs live before the album came out and they were awesome. It's no secret that MCS is one of my favorite live bands and i feel these songs will translate well to the high energy shows they are known for putting on.

Highlights:
It Had To Be You
Even If It Kills Me
Fell In Love Without You

Favorite Lyrics:
“They say what doesn't kill us makes us who we are.
All this time and everything's changed
But I still feel the same.
All good things eventually end and get lost down the drain.
What a disaster it would be if you discovered that I cared
A little too much for friends, but not enough to share.”

“I wonder if I'll ever lose my mind
I tried hard for a while but then I kind of gave up
Winter is a killer when the sun goes down
'I'm really not as stubborn as I seem'
Said the knuckle to the concrete
But I'm too tired to go to sleep tonight
And I'm too weak to follow dreams tonight
For the first time in a long time I can say that I want to try
To get better and overcome each moment
In my own way”


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?