Monday, December 31, 2007

 

#18 Bright Eyes - Cassadaga

It still annoys me that Conor feels the need to start every album with random noise or something else that usually isn't considered "music." Once you get through the nonsense at the beginning though, you have a great album. It's the same old country influenced sound that Bright Eyes is known for. It's funny how Digital Ash in a Digital Urn got me into them and now I prefer the sound of their other album that was released that year. Conor still writes songs about politics and religion but I don't feel like he's beating us over the head with it on this release, which is nice. I can't talk about this album without mentioning how cool the packaging is. There is a decoder thing that you move along the cover and everywhere else to find more art and messages. On top of a great release, Bright Eyes also blew me away live in Wilmington this year at the Grand Opera House. It was my first time seeing them and hopefully not my last.

Highlights:
Four Winds
If the Breakman Turns My Way
Soul Singer In a Session Band

Favorite Lyrics:
“When panic grips your body
And your heart's a hummingbird
Raven thoughts blacken your mind
'Til you're breathing in reverse
All your friends and sedatives mean well
But make it worse
Every reassurance just magnifies the doubt
Better find yourself a place to level out”

“Life is too short
Death doesn't ask
It don't owe you that
Some things you lose
You don't get back
So just know what you have
And make a plan to love me sometime soon”


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?