Monday, December 31, 2007

 

#16 Zookeeper - Becoming All Things

Chris Simpson's (former singer of Mineral and The Gloria Record) new project hit me out of nowhere. I don't even recall how I found out about it a few years ago. The debut EP was released last year and flew under most people's radar. I thought it was a good jumping off point but did not expect the first full length to be this good. A lot of the songs are multi-layered, sometimes to the point of cacophony but mostly just enough to make the songs more interesting. This is a great album to listen to while driving in the rain. I'm not sure why that is, but I always seem to have it on at work when it's raining. Most of these songs just make me smile and I can't pinpoint why. The cover looking like the "I'm the Pope" picture we used to laugh at in college doesn't hurt either.

Highlights:
Snow in Berlin
Everyone's a DJ
Born With Things To Do

Favorite Lyrics:
“Been counting the days for most of our lives
And it looks like a pattern has begun to materialize
Yeah it looks like we're alive
But it looks like we're all eyes
And no ears to hear the trumpets so near
The trumpets so clear”

“But everyone's a DJ
Everyone's a critic today
We're all miracles, and maybes
Trading passion down for safety
It's a compromising world”


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?