Saturday, December 02, 2006

 

#28 Bad Astronaut - 12 Small Steps, One Giant Disappointment

I had heard rumors that “Houston, We Have a Drinking Problem” was going to be the last album by this side-project band, especially after one of the band members died. When I heard that one last Bad Astronaut album would be released, it immediately became one of my most anticipated releases of this year. Joey Cape has one of my favorite voices in rock music. Upon first listen, the great voice was there but nothing on the album really jumped out at me. I just went through the album only half paying attention. It was as if the album was exactly what the title described, but after a few listens I knew it was more than that. It was an album that was released even after a member of the band died during recording. It might not be the best work of the band, but it was a great achievement that it was even finished at all. Even if it is not up to par with their previous release, Joey’s voice combined with some catchy rock was enough to get this album on the list.

Highlights:
Autocare
Go Humans
The “F” Word

Favorite Lyrics:
“Hey Mom
Hey Dad
Hey Mom
I’m’ Rad”

“It stands to reason and I can't be by myself
It makes no difference who I am
It stands to reason and it's better left undone
It makes no difference what I have
I'm by myself
And you won't call me now”


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?