Sunday, December 17, 2006

 

#18 Rise Against - The Sufferer and the Witness

"This is noise." That’s how the album begins. What follows is one of the best punk albums this year. Upon its release, it was my #1 album of the year (obviously that has changed). I absolutely love the gruff vocals mixed with the straight ahead punk riffs. They also throw in some great slow songs (such as “swing life away” on the last album and “roadside” on this album) and manage not to kill the mood. The album seems a little less refined than most major label albums, which I think is amazing. This is the album to put on to just rock out. I haven’t heard of anyone not thinking that this album is one of the best of the year. Beware, the album will make you want to drive fast. I’m glad to see a band that doesn’t seem to compromise their artistic vision for a major label.


Highlights:
Drones
Chamber the Cartridge
Survive

Favorite Lyrics:
“Somewhere between happy and total fucking wreck
Feet sometimes on solid ground, sometimes at the edge
Spend your waking moments, simply counting time
Give up on your hopes and dreams”

“And if strength is borne from heartbreak
Many mountains I could move
And if walls could speak I’d pray
That they would tell me what to do”

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?